Monday, May 6, 2013

Hello!


Hello!

I'm Tara and I'm the mother of Cody who has multiple food allergies and sensitivities. He is allergic to eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, dairy and possibly soy. He is sensitive to wheat, tomatoes, corn, turkey and chicken. And on top of that, he's a typical, picky toddler!

He was diagnosed when he was six months old with food allergies and eczema, and later with asthma. My husband and I both have severe food allergies (fish, shellfish and some tree nuts) and I have asthma. When I was pregnant we found out that our child had a 50% chance of having food allergies because we were both food allergic. Although I had managed my food allergies my whole life, I felt completely unprepared to handle my son's multiple allergies. 

I am very comfortable with, and actually passionate about, cooking good and nutritious food. Before Cody was born I considered going back to school for a culinary degree because I had come to love food and cooking so much. Also, as the daughter of a dietician who worked in the food industry, I felt I had a strong understanding of nutrition and food preparation that my mother passed on to me. 

Still, I felt completely overwhelmed by this new challenge of preparing meals for my son. I was also starting to feel very alone in having a child with food allergies. I knew there were others out there facing the same challenges, so I decided to start this blog. I want it to be a place where parents of kids with food allergies and anyone with food allergies and intolerances can come together, share stories, information and recipes. 

Welcome to my adventures in cooking for Cody!

No comments:

Post a Comment