Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Grandma's Allergy-Friendly Tortillas

I grew up in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I have so many childhood memories of my grandmother making beans, chile and especially her homemade tortillas. I decided to try to modify her recipe to make oat flour tortillas for Cody. 

The first one was a disaster, but I kept making changes until I finally managed to make a tortilla that really looked and felt like a tortilla. My husband and I used them to make chicken tacos and they actually stayed in one piece! Oh, and Cody loves them.  He calls them toto cookies!

I'm so happy with these I can hardly contain myself and I think Grandma would have been proud.

Enjoy!

This recipe is free of the top 8 allergens (egg-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, fish-free and shellfish-free) and vegan.

Grandma's Tortillas

2 cups oat flour                                
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 - 2 1/4 cups water
2 tsp. baking powder                    

In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt and baking powder.
Stir in the oil and water to make a batter.
Heat a griddle or pan over high heat. Pour or ladle about ¼ cup of the batter for each tortilla. Cook for 2 minutes, you should see bubbles forming. Turn and cook on the other side for 2 minutes. Continue to turn frequently and press occasionally with a spatula to brown evenly.     


No comments:

Post a Comment