Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Halloween Treats: Allergy Friendly Caramel Apples

Last but not least, my favorite Halloween treat, caramel apples! I remember when I was about 13 and had to get braces, I was most sad that I would not be able to eat caramel apples. That was the first thing I ate when I got my braces off!

Since Cody is allergic to dairy, I went searching for a good dairy free caramel recipe. I found one and it's really good. These might be some of the best caramels I've ever had!

Here's the link to the recipe for vegan caramel apples.

I had to make some substitutions for Cody's allergies. With the substitutions below, this recipe is free of the top 8 allergens (egg-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, fish-free and shellfish-free) and vegan.

-For margarine I substituted vegetable shortening and added some salt.
-For soy milk I substituted oat milk.
-For corn syrup I substituted rice syrup.
-I used half regular sugar and half brown sugar (only because I didn't have enough regular sugar, but I like the result).

And now an important tip. As I mentioned previously, I had a caramel disaster. I didn't realize just how much the caramel would bubble up, so I ended up with an overflowing caramel volcano. This is not a fun mess to clean up, soooo use a very big pot and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment