Friday, October 25, 2013

Halloween Treats: Allergy Friendly Oatmeal Cookie Spiders

As previously mentioned, I'm trying out some fun Halloween treats for Cody.

I thought these cookie ball spiders came out tasting and looking pretty good. I can't get Cody to try one yet, but he thinks the "spiders" are very fun to look at and that makes me happy!

These are pretty low sugar, so you might want to add a little more if you want them sweeter. A great thing about cooking with no eggs is that you can sample the dough before you bake it and make adjustments!

To make the eyes and legs I cut pieces from gummy worms. We like Surf Sweets and YumEarth gummies and candies. They're allergy friendly, organic, free of artificial dyes and flavors and delicious!

Pictured below are three variations of the cookies: regular, cinnamon and chocolate. And yes, I know spiders have eight legs, but I didn't have enough gummy worms because I might have eaten too many. Oops. I think they look better with six legs anyway!

This recipe is peanut free, tree nut free, wheat free, egg free, dairy free, soy free and vegan (if you use vegan gummy worms).

Enjoy!

Oatmeal cookie balls

1 1/2 cups oats
2 tablespoons oat flour
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup white grape juice
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries or raisins
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

For finer oats, I give them a few pulses in a food processor before mixing.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
Roll into one inch balls and place on a baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes

Variations:
Chocolate - add 1/4 cup cocoa powder
Cinnamon - add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 


No comments:

Post a Comment