Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Allergy Friendly Green Chile & "Cream" Pasta

I grew up in Santa Fe, New Mexico. In New Mexico we put chile on everything and I do mean everything! You can even find chile chocolates, muffins and jam. And our chile is spelled "chile," not "chili." Our official state question is, "red or green?" This means red or green chile. Often the answer is, "Christmas" which is both. We are serious about our chile. And once you've caught the chile bug, you're hooked. Any of my NM friends, or anyone who has spent time in NM can back me up on this. My husband, who is from Indiana, lived in New Mexico for a few years and he also discovered the wonderful, addictive properties of  green chile. And besides being delicious, chile is also very good for you and very high in vitamin C.

I recently asked my mom when I started eating chile. She thinks I was about two. I would guess that might be late in comparison (we moved to NM when I was about one, so we got a late start). Would love to hear from my NM friends about this. Cody hasn't tried it yet, but soon maybe.

Anyway, we always have Hatch, NM green chile in our freezer even though we live in Florida now. Must. Always. Have. Chile!

September is prime chile roasting season in New Mexico, so no matter where I live I always have a hankering for lots of chile in September and October.

When my husband and I were living in New Mexico we went to a restaurant that had an amazing green chile, cream pasta. I decided to try an allergy friendly version.

If you order chile from NM and have not tried it, beware of the hot. Seriously, even if you like spicy food, it can be intense! If you don't have roasted green chile in your freezer you can usually find canned Hatch green chile at Whole Foods and some other grocery stores. It's not the same, but it will do in a pinch!

I might want to eat this pasta every night!
Enjoy!

This recipe is dairy free, wheat free, egg free, soy free, peanut and tree nut free and vegan.

Green chile pasta

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 small onion chopped (I use red onion)
1 clove Garlic minced
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped, roasted green chile (depending on how spicy you want it).
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons Daiya dairy free cream cheese
3 tablespoons plain Hummus
1 package rice or other gluten free fettuccine
Salt and pepper

Prepare fettuccine as directed on the package.
Meanwhile in a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add onions and sauté until soft, about 7-8 minutes.
Add garlic and green chile and sauté for about 30 seconds.
Add the broth.
Reduce heat to medium low and add hummus and dairy free cream cheese.
Stir until completely combined.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Drain the pasta when it is done, reserving some of the pasta water.
Remove the sauce from the heat, add the pasta and toss with the sauce.
Add a little bit of pasta water to thin the sauce if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment