Thursday, October 2, 2014

Allergy-Friendly Zucchini Bread

I can't believe I haven't posted this yet. I thought I did, but looked back and it wasn't there.

This is one of the first things I made for Cody along with sweet potato bread when we found out about his food allergies. We were trying to figure out how to get calories in him and our whole new world of allergen-free cooking. It seems like so long ago.

I think if you are just starting out with food allergies it's helpful to hear that what seems impossible and overwhelming at first will get a lot easier. This is just the way we eat and cook now, I bake about one a week, Cody loves to help me and he enjoys the food we make. Josh has also learned how to make food for Cody. He made blueberry waffles for him the other morning. It really does just become second nature.

Enjoy!

This recipe is free of the top 8 allergens (egg-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, fish-free and shellfish-free) and vegan.

Zucchini Carrot Bread

1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 small zucchini, finely diced or shredded
1/2 cup carrots, finely diced or shredded
1 1/2 cups oat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
(If the batter seems too dry add oat or rice milk a tablespoon at a time. Be careful not to add too much because it can quickly become too gooey.)

I sometime like to add some diced apple to this recipe if I have extra apples around.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil a loaf pan.
In a large bowl mix the maple syrup, applesauce, and oil.
Mix in the zucchini and carrots.
In another bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Slowly blend the flour mix into the zucchini carrot mix.
Pour into a loaf pan and bake 50 – 60 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool completely then slice.



No comments:

Post a Comment