Friday, October 17, 2014

Halloween and the Teal Pumpkin Project

I'm sorry I haven't been posting as often. Work seems to be getting in the way of writing new posts! Things will slow down after this month and I can get back to cooking new things and blogging. Halloween is my favorite holiday, so I will be posting a few things including some delicious pumpkin chocolate chip cookies I just made!

Halloween is coming up soon. It can be a difficult holiday for kids with food allergies, but there are lots of ways to make it fun.

This is the first Halloween that Cody really understands the concept of trick-or-treating. I want him to be able to participate and not be left out of this fun tradition. I personally love the idea of "trick-or-trade" where kids trade in the candy they get for safe treats, or for something special they want. That way it's still fun for them and they can safely participate.

There's a book called the No Biggie Bunch Trade-or Treat Halloween about this. I love the No Biggie Bunch books. They address food allergies in a positive way that's educational, but also easy for kids to understand and they can relate to the characters in the books.

Have you heard about the Teal Pumpkin Project? If not, click the link to read about it. The idea is to paint a teal pumpkin to put outside your house to let kids with food allergies know that you have non-food items. I love the idea! I'm really happy to see it getting a lot of attention and that people with and without food allergies are participating. Below is our teal pumpkin.

Hope you all have a happy, safe and fun Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment