Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Allergy-Friendly Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Last weekend was really fun and full of firsts for us. Last week I posted about the cupcakes I was making to take to the birthday party we were going to. Cody had so much fun and didn't care at all that he couldn't have the cake and other food. He was just really happy to have his cupcake.

At the party I met another mom who's son had just been diagnosed with several food allergies. She was really emotional about it and just totally overwhelmed. I remember feeling exactly the way she did. I hope I helped answer some of the questions she had and told her that it really does get easier. I felt so bad for her. It's so scary, especially at the beginning.

The next day we went to a Halloween party at the aquarium. We have been talking to Cody about trick-or-treating and then trading in our candy for safe treats. He had so much fun collecting candy and was happy to trade in the candy he got for a toy eel from the aquarium store!

I know these things might get harder as he gets older and he will probably feel left out sometimes. We're really trying to create positive and fun experiences now rather than focus on the negative. Hopefully that sticks with him. 

Since Cody loves my chocolate chip cookies so much, I thought I'd try some with pumpkin for Halloween. He loves these too! They're completely different from the regular chocolate chip cookies I make. I wanted to cut the sugar and replace some of it with maple syrup. These are more cakey, but still really good.

This recipe is free of the top 8 allergens (egg-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, fish-free and shellfish-free) and vegan.

Enjoy!


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes about two dozen cookies

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cup pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups oat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the shortening and brown sugar.
Stir in the maple syrup, pumpkin and vanilla.
In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
Drop teaspoonfuls of the dough onto a baking sheet.

Flatten with your fingers. These will not flatten on their own.
Bake about 15 - 20 min. minutes or until golden brown.

Want more of a pumpkin spice flavor? Add some pumpkin pie seasoning, or some cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment