Thursday, January 16, 2014

Allergy Friendly Tomato sauce

I have some recipes coming up that use tomato sauce . For a long time I have made my own because I prefer it to buying sauce in a jar. It's really easy and I make big batches and freeze it.

Whenever we don't have time to cook, we can just take some sauce out of the freezer and make spaghetti.

I don't do this when making sauce for Cody, but if I'm just cooking for Josh and myself I add a really big splash of good, Italian red wine.

Enjoy!

This recipe is free of the top 8 allergens (egg-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, fish-free and shellfish-free) and vegan.

Tomato Sauce
 
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh, chopped oregano
1 large can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh, chopped basil
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
Sauté the onions until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in the tomato sauce and oregano.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. 
Simmer, covered over low heat for at least 30 minutes, but the longer, the better!
Remove from heat and stir in basil.
Adjust seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment