Thursday, December 12, 2013

Allergy Friendly Caramel Apple Pie

Hi, I'm back!

I wore myself out with all of the Thanksgiving recipes, so I took a little break. Below is a picture of Cody at the table with our top 8 allergen free Thanksgiving meal. We had a great day and it made me feel good to know Cody could try everything I made, even if he didn't like it. :) 

I am just going to post a few recipes for holiday treats I wanted to try.

The first is apple pie. Apple pie is my husband 's favorite, so I wanted to come up with a good one. Plus I really wanted to use some of that great caramel I made and posted about earlier. He thinks this came out delicious and so do I. So far Cody will only try the topping. He didn't spit it out, so that's a good sign!

Enjoy!

This recipe is free of the top 8 allergens (egg-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, fish-free and shellfish-free) and vegan.

Caramel Apple Pie

Pie Crust
1 cup oat flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chilled vegetable shortening (I like Spectrum Organic shortening)
4 to 6 tablespoons ice cold water

Filling
10 apples, peeled, cored and cut into thin slices
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons oat flour

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup shortening 
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Crust
In a food processor, combine the flours and salt until well blended.
Chop the chilled shortening into pieces, add to the food processor and blend until you have small clumps (like breadcrumbs).
Slowly add the cold water 1 tablespoon at a time until a ball starts to form.
Test by pinching some of the dough between you fingers. If it stays together it's ready.
Place the dough in the pie pan and use your fingertips to press the dough evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan.

Filling
In a large pot combine the apples and other filling ingredients (except caramel). Stir until apples are coated.
Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the apples are softened.
Remove from heat and let cool.
Melt the caramel (if not already melted) in a small saucepan.
Stir caramel into the apple mixture.

Topping
Put all of the topping ingredients in a food processor and pulse until just combined.

Pour apple filling into the pie crust and sprinkle topping over the apples.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees and cook for another 30 - 40 minutes until topping and crust are golden brown.





No comments:

Post a Comment