Friday, November 22, 2013

Allergy Friendly Pumpkin Dinner Rolls

For as long as I can remember my mom made pumpkin dinner rolls for Thanksgiving. For me, these are a must have. It's less about having them with them with the Thanksgiving dinner and more about the awesome leftover turkey sandwiches they make!

I made some changes to my mom's recipe to make them allergy friendly for us. It took several tries to get them right. Actually I got it right the first time, but that was only because I made a mistake in measuring. Then I couldn't remember what I did, so I had to keep trying to re-create my mistake. Trial and error, right? Sometimes I think I should re-name this blog "My Misadventures In Cooking!"

They're not fluffy like my mom's, but they still taste really good and I can't wait for the leftover turkey sandwiches!

Enjoy!

This recipe is free of the top 8 allergens (egg-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, fish-free and shellfish-free) and vegan.

Pumpkin Rolls

4 cups oat flour
1 cup potato flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 cup warm (105-115 degrees) oat milk or other dairy-free milk you like
1 to 1 1-2 cups sparkling water (helps with rising)
1 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon yeast
Olive oil for brushing on the rolls

In a small, oven proof bowl combine the milk and maple syrup.
To warm, I put it in a 300 degree oven for a few minutes until a thermometer inserted in the liquid reads 105-115 degrees. You can also use the microwave to do this.
Sprinkle the yeast over the mixture and let sit for about 10 minutes. The yeast should be bubbly and frothy by that time. If it's not, start over.
Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine the flours and salt.
When the yeast mixture is ready add it to the flour mixture along with the water, oil and pumpkin. Stir to combine until it forms a ball. The dough should be just slightly sticky.
Form the dough into rolls and place on a prepared baking sheet.
Brush olive oil onto the rolls.
Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm location to let rise for about an hour and a half.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Remove plastic wrap and bake rolls for about 30 minutes until golden brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment