Thursday, December 18, 2014

Allergy-Friendly Biscochitos

Biscochitos are the official cookie of my home state of New Mexico. And they deserve that title. They're simple, but delicious. I remember my Grandmother's house often smelling of baking biscochitos as she always had them around. Biscochitos are especially popular as a Christmas cookie.

I decided this year to try my Grandmother's recipe with modifications to substitute the wheat flour and egg. I have started to use a combination of pureed sweet potato and apple sauce to substitute for egg. I think the sweet potato makes for better texture and it adds a nice color.

People say to use lard and ONLY lard for these cookies, but I didn't have any, so I used vegetable shortening. And I really didn't notice the difference.

I am really happy with the result. I can't even tell the difference and Cody loved them too. The best part was that familiar smell of biscochitos baking in the oven!

Enjoy!

This recipe is free of the top 8 allergens (egg-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, fish-free and shellfish-free) and vegan.

Biscochitos

¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon

2 cups lard or vegetable shortening
1 ½ cups sugar
2 teaspoons anise
¼ cup applesauce
¼ cup sweet potato puree (I use baby food)
6 cups oat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup apple cider

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the ¼ cup sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
Combine the lard or shortening, 1 ½ cups sugar and anise until creamy.
Stir in the applesauce and sweet potato.
In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
Sir the flour mixture into the lard/shortening mixture.
Add the cider or brandy and mix until well blended and stiff dough is formed.
Press or roll the dough into ¼ or ½ inch thickness.
Cut with a pasty knife into small squares or use cookie cutters.
Dip tops of the cookies into the cinnamon sugar and place sugar-side up on a cookie sheet.
Bake about 12 - 15 minutes until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment