Thursday, May 29, 2014

Allergy-Friendly Potato, Leek and Broccoli Summer Soup

Summer may not have officially started yet, but it's blazing hot here. It sure feels like summer!

When it's hot out I like cold food. My mom used to make vichyssoise (a cold potato and leek soup) in the summer when I was a kid and I have always loved it, so I decided to make a version with broccoli stems. The potatoes make a great, "creamy" soup without any milk or cream.

Cody loves broccoli. And by that I mean he could eat broccoli all day every day. If I offer him any other food and broccoli he will always choose broccoli. I call him the broccoli monster! Anyway, I end up with a lot of broccoli stems. I hate to throw them away, so I often use them in soups, or chop them up and use them in stir fry. 

This soup can also be served hot if you prefer.

Enjoy!

This recipe is free of the top 8 allergens (egg-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, fish-free and shellfish-free) and vegan.

Potato, leek and broccoli soup

1 large leek, white and light green parts only, rinsed well (best to immerse in water and separate layers to wash thoroughly) and chopped
1 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
3-4 broccoli stems, chopped 
Salt and pepper to taste 
Fresh chives, chopped

Add all of the ingredients except chives to a large soup pot.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 min, until the vegetables are soft and falling apart.
Use and immersion blender, or transfer to a blender or food processor to blend until smooth.
Adjust seasoning and garnish with chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment